Service Users- +44(0)20 300 55338
Training Solutions

It might be tempting to just to try paying fees from savings or pension income. But, because you dont know how long funding will be needed, this isnt always the best solution. Putting it simply; the money could run out quickly.

Direct payments are local council payments for people who have been assessed as needing help from social services, and who would like to arrange and pay for their own care and support services instead of receiving them directly from the local council.

A person must be able to give their consent to receiving direct payments and be able to manage them even if they need help to do this on a day-to-day basis.

If you are not receiving social services

To get direct payments, you need to contact your local council to ask them to assess your needs. Social services - and therefore direct payments - are normally available if you are:

  • disabled and aged 16 or over
  • a carer aged 16 or over, including people with parental responsibility for a disabled child
  • an older person
If you want more information about how to go about receiving and applying for your Personal Budget to help you buy your support/ care service please click here.